FPGA Groups

FPGA Groups (http://www.fpgacentral.com/group/index.php)
-   FPGA (http://www.fpgacentral.com/group/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Students: where to go for help (http://www.fpgacentral.com/group/showthread.php?t=63193)

austin 11-12-2007 05:05 PM

Students: where to go for help
 
Students,

Please ask your professor to file a XUP webcase for you, if he/she
agrees that yours is a problem that requires our help.

It is impossible for Xilinx to support all students directly, so our XUP
program includes a means of support, through your professor.

As an ex-professor myself, I actually appreciated it when a student came
to my office hours. It is a very boring time, when no one shows up, and
yet you are well aware that everyone can't possibly be a genius!

So, do your prof a favor: pay them a visit, and maybe he or she will
agree that the problem is one that they should send to our support
group. The best case is that they solve your problem right there. The
worst case is that the professor realizes that you are not stupid, and
are willing to ask for help (a real asset when you then go to work
somewhere -- employers don't really want to hire people who beat their
heads against the walls, and stay "stuck").

Austin

Philip Potter 11-12-2007 06:04 PM

Re: Students: where to go for help
 
austin wrote:
> Students,
>
> Please ask your professor to file a XUP webcase for you, if he/she
> agrees that yours is a problem that requires our help.
>
> It is impossible for Xilinx to support all students directly, so our XUP
> program includes a means of support, through your professor.
>
> As an ex-professor myself, I actually appreciated it when a student came
> to my office hours. It is a very boring time, when no one shows up, and
> yet you are well aware that everyone can't possibly be a genius!
>
> So, do your prof a favor: pay them a visit, and maybe he or she will
> agree that the problem is one that they should send to our support
> group. The best case is that they solve your problem right there. The
> worst case is that the professor realizes that you are not stupid, and
> are willing to ask for help (a real asset when you then go to work
> somewhere -- employers don't really want to hire people who beat their
> heads against the walls, and stay "stuck").


I assume that you wrote this message partly in response to my recent
"EDK 9.2 install problem", though I can't tell because you started a new
thread rather than respond to mine.

In fact I wrote to comp.arch.fpga /after/ speaking to my supervisor
about the problem - he agreed asking here would be a good idea. Not only
do I know that Xilinx has a presence here, I could also see if this was
a common problem among other Xilinx users. It seems that it is not a
common problem, and is probably a defective install disk, so no need to
open a WebCase anyway.

--
Philip Potter pgp <at> doc.ic.ac.uk

austin 11-12-2007 06:13 PM

Re: Students: where to go for help
 
Philip,

Yes, this was in part a reply to you, but I had marked the thread
"ignore" as I had already made a note to contact the support group, and
find out what we were doing.

C.A.F. is a good place to ask if others have the same problem: yes.
And, unlike a webcase, Peter and I do read all of the postings (even if
we do not choose to reply).

In the past, we did not have a specific link for questions that
professors used, but as of last week, now we do. So, for your
professor, it should be easier to enter a XUP webcase now.

The only rumor I have heard is that now that we have software releases
on DVDs, they are more susceptible to scratching and damage if left
without their covers, and may be ruined much more easily than a CD would
be. So, if those DVDs were left out, and got tossed about, they may
well be scratched, and won't work.

Austin

Philip Potter 11-13-2007 10:57 AM

Re: Students: where to go for help
 
austin wrote:
> Philip,
>
> Yes, this was in part a reply to you, but I had marked the thread
> "ignore" as I had already made a note to contact the support group, and
> find out what we were doing.
>
> C.A.F. is a good place to ask if others have the same problem: yes.
> And, unlike a webcase, Peter and I do read all of the postings (even if
> we do not choose to reply).


I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates this! You and Peter are a
valuable presence here.

> In the past, we did not have a specific link for questions that
> professors used, but as of last week, now we do. So, for your
> professor, it should be easier to enter a XUP webcase now.


Thanks, I'll discuss it with him.

> The only rumor I have heard is that now that we have software releases
> on DVDs, they are more susceptible to scratching and damage if left
> without their covers, and may be ruined much more easily than a CD would
> be. So, if those DVDs were left out, and got tossed about, they may
> well be scratched, and won't work.


It was straight out of the box and into the computer, but it may have
been damaged in transit.

--
Philip Potter pgp <at> doc.ic.ac.uk

Symon 11-13-2007 07:52 PM

Re: Students: where to go for help
 
"Philip Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> It was straight out of the box and into the computer, but it may have been
> damaged in transit.
>
> --
> Philip Potter pgp <at> doc.ic.ac.uk


Hi Philip,

Scratched DVDs are defenceless against fresh fruit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eo9y7jjoWKs

HTH., Syms.




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved