FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Amal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default SPAM?

It is weird that these newsgroups are getting swamped with SPAM
recently!? I wonder if Google or whoever takes care of these
newsgroups can do a better job of filtering or deleting them?

-- Amal
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Rob Gaddi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SPAM?

On Fri, 22 May 2009 06:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
Amal <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is weird that these newsgroups are getting swamped with SPAM
> recently!? I wonder if Google or whoever takes care of these
> newsgroups can do a better job of filtering or deleting them?
>
> -- Amal


The real problem at the moment seems to coming through usenetmonster.
I tried using their X-Complaints-To, but they seem to not give a
damn. So instead I now killfile anything coming through on their
Message-ID.

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SPAM?

On May 22, 6:47 am, Amal <[email protected]> wrote:
> It is weird that these newsgroups are getting swamped with SPAM
> recently!? I wonder if Google or whoever takes care of these
> newsgroups can do a better job of filtering or deleting them?
>
> -- Amal


We will have peace in the Middle East before Google does anything
about SPAM.

There were a number of people that were manually shutting it off (by
changing the subject line to minimize its annoyance), but the format
fascists complained too much, and Google turned off their ability to
shut it down. So long as we're all bottom-posting, all is good,
right?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
James Harris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SPAM?

On 22 May, 17:53, [email protected] wrote:
> On May 22, 6:47 am, Amal <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > It is weird that these newsgroups are getting swamped with SPAM
> > recently!? I wonder if Google or whoever takes care of these
> > newsgroups can do a better job of filtering or deleting them?

>
> > -- Amal

>
> We will have peace in the Middle East before Google does anything
> about SPAM.


Not so. I sent complaints to Google about the spam in
alt.os.development and it appears that they have not just removed the
sending accounts but also deleted the spam posts sent.

Maybe their responsiveness is a per-newsgroup thing. Encouraged by
their apparent response I have been reporting spams in other groups to
them for the last couple of months. I can't say I've seen any definite
response yet but I've not been checking for specific messages and ids.

Reporting spam consumes a bit of time but I presume the reason why
some groups are heavily hit with spam is that spammers have been
allowed to get away with it. They tell their friends and before you
know it the spam levels drown out the legitimate posts.

The delay was about 6 weeks for alt.os.development. It may be worth
many folks reporting spam posts for a while to see if that encourages
a faster response.

James
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Dave Farrance
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SPAM?

Rob Gaddi <[email protected]> wrote:

>The real problem at the moment seems to coming through usenetmonster.
>I tried using their X-Complaints-To, but they seem to not give a
>damn. So instead I now killfile anything coming through on their
>Message-ID.


Google groups seem to have let a captcha-cracking spam-botnet slip beyond
their control for the moment since it hits them from multiple IPs.

Also readnews.com is spammer friendly due to rubbish security which allows
a forged NNTP-Posting-Host, forged preloaded path, and forged abuse
address (it's not really Usenet Monster) -- and their claims to have fixed
the problem are demonstrably false for now.

--
Dave Farrance
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
BobW
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SPAM?


"Dave Farrance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Rob Gaddi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The real problem at the moment seems to coming through usenetmonster.
>>I tried using their X-Complaints-To, but they seem to not give a
>>damn. So instead I now killfile anything coming through on their
>>Message-ID.

>
> Google groups seem to have let a captcha-cracking spam-botnet slip beyond
> their control for the moment since it hits them from multiple IPs.
>
> Also readnews.com is spammer friendly due to rubbish security which allows
> a forged NNTP-Posting-Host, forged preloaded path, and forged abuse
> address (it's not really Usenet Monster) -- and their claims to have fixed
> the problem are demonstrably false for now.
>
> --
> Dave Farrance


Dave,

How did you identify that these posts are really coming from readnews.com?

I, too, would love to kill this crap. If readnews is the problem, I will
join in the campaign. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Thanks,
Bob
--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Dave Farrance
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SPAM?

"BobW" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How did you identify that these posts are really coming from readnews.com?


I did a Google-Groups search on "Usenet Monster spam" and found a
discussion on news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, where there were people more
knowledgeable about such things than me.

>I, too, would love to kill this crap. If readnews is the problem, I will
>join in the campaign. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...


It's being worked on. The giveaway, apparently, was that they'd done it
before and spammed via readnews.com, forging it as from usenetnow.com.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/new...4d586065a65090

So when the same sort of spam apparently came from Usenet Monster, it
didn't take them long to finger the real culprit.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/new...ec4d32d0a3a1ae

And here's a mea-culpa from a readnews.com admin.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/new...6228f40b616fd8

--
Dave Farrance
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Robert Miles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SPAM?

"James Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]m...
> On 22 May, 17:53, [email protected] wrote:
>> On May 22, 6:47 am, Amal <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > It is weird that these newsgroups are getting swamped with SPAM
>> > recently!? I wonder if Google or whoever takes care of these
>> > newsgroups can do a better job of filtering or deleting them?

>>
>> > -- Amal

>>
>> We will have peace in the Middle East before Google does anything
>> about SPAM.

>
> Not so. I sent complaints to Google about the spam in
> alt.os.development and it appears that they have not just removed the
> sending accounts but also deleted the spam posts sent.
>
> Maybe their responsiveness is a per-newsgroup thing. Encouraged by
> their apparent response I have been reporting spams in other groups to
> them for the last couple of months. I can't say I've seen any definite
> response yet but I've not been checking for specific messages and ids.
>
> Reporting spam consumes a bit of time but I presume the reason why
> some groups are heavily hit with spam is that spammers have been
> allowed to get away with it. They tell their friends and before you
> know it the spam levels drown out the legitimate posts.
>
> The delay was about 6 weeks for alt.os.development. It may be worth
> many folks reporting spam posts for a while to see if that encourages
> a faster response.
>
> James

..
I finally got Google Groups to do something about the spam reports I
sent them, but slowly enough that it looks like you then needed to wait a
month from the time you start reporting each post by a certain spammer
to the time you should expect any action, and you should not expect
that action to include sending any email back to you.

However, most of the spam I've seen for the last few days was not
posted through Google Groups, and is from a very active spammer
who's been able fake enough of the header lines to lie about just
where it was posted. The readnews.com site (a little upsteam from
that spammer) seems to be doing much of the work for handling
that spammer.

Robert Miles


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(OT) : spam, Spam. SPAM ! : FAST & EASY - ::: INSURANCE ::: allstateinsurance RHF DSP 0 11-23-2008 08:53 PM
SPAM [email protected] DSP 0 04-22-2008 12:25 AM
SPAM [email protected] DSP 0 04-22-2008 12:24 AM
SPAM [email protected] DSP 0 04-22-2008 12:24 AM
SPAM [email protected] DSP 0 04-17-2008 12:05 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved