FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010, 04:52 AM
bizarrefish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Quartus II IDE freezing on Arch 64

Hello, all.
I just got quartus II linux web edition operational on my Arch64
lappy. This involved installing a bunch of libraries, tweaking my /etc/
issue file to correct something that altera was getting upset about,
and LD_PRELOADing a library or two.
All a lot of messing around, but it ended up actually working. JTAG n
all.

Unfortunately, just several days ago, it started to fail. When viewing
certain files, in the built-in text editor, it would freeze up.
The only way to un-freeze is to attach to quartus with gdb, and return
from the current function with null by providing the command "return
(void*)0".
The function that it's trapped in is LexerModule::find(int),
apparently part of scintilla.
I have only seen one other mention of this specific issue, and that's
here: http://www.mail-archive.com/scintill.../msg02093.html
No help there, i can't modify the function that quartus uses, because
they have it as part of a proprietary shared object.

Is there any kind of workaround for this, or am I at the mercy of
altera to come out with a fix?

Lee.
Any help here would be great.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Mike Treseler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Quartus II IDE freezing on Arch 64

bizarrefish wrote:

> I just got quartus II linux web edition operational on my Arch64
> lappy. This involved installing a bunch of libraries, tweaking my /etc/
> issue file to correct something that altera was getting upset about,
> and LD_PRELOADing a library or two.
> All a lot of messing around, but it ended up actually working. JTAG n
> all.

....
> Is there any kind of workaround for this, or am I at the mercy of
> altera to come out with a fix?


If I were using the recommended distro,
I would file a case with Altera
and use windows in the mean time.

-- Mike Treseler
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 PM
bizarrefish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Quartus II IDE freezing on Arch 64

On Feb 21, 4:53*pm, Mike Treseler <[email protected]> wrote:
> bizarrefish wrote:
> > I just got quartus II linux web edition operational on my Arch64
> > lappy. This involved installing a bunch of libraries, tweaking my /etc/
> > issue file to correct something that altera was getting upset about,
> > and LD_PRELOADing a library or two.
> > All a lot of messing around, but it ended up actually working. JTAG n
> > all.

> ...
> > Is there any kind of workaround for this, or am I at the mercy of
> > altera to come out with a fix?

>
> If I were using the recommended distro,
> I would file a case with Altera
> and use windows in the mean time.
>
> * * * *-- Mike Treseler


Gah, screwit. I'll stick it in CentOS 5 in virtualbox. hope the
performance hit isn't too massive.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Anssi Saari
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Quartus II IDE freezing on Arch 64

bizarrefish <[email protected]> writes:

> Gah, screwit. I'll stick it in CentOS 5 in virtualbox. hope the
> performance hit isn't too massive.


I haven't played with it much, but the Linux Quartus 9.1 beta seemed
to have issues running in VirtualBoxed Centos 5 on my laptop. As in
crashing problems, when running the fitter for some simple example
designs (complex multiplier and FIR filter examples from Altera's
site). OTOH, same examples work fine in the laptop's native 64-bit
Fedora 12.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Line echo cancellation - conditions for freezing adaptation [email protected] DSP 3 03-13-2007 03:30 AM
comp.arch.reconfig Robin Bruce FPGA 7 04-25-2006 07:44 PM
ISE freezing up with picoblaze code. [email protected] FPGA 0 03-06-2006 10:00 AM
comp.arch.fpga.<mfr> Adam Megacz FPGA 11 06-22-2005 04:58 AM
Problems after freezing FIR coefficients of Acoustic Echo Canceller johan kleuskens DSP 12 05-02-2005 02:10 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved