FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Anonymous
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default PPC and Chipscope?

I am starting a new design using V4FX parts. I have only one JTAG connection
so far. Is it possible to simultaneously run the debugger and a chipscope
session so I can debug problems between the micro and the fpga fabric? If
not, do I need a second JTAG and how do I wire it?

Thanks,
Clark


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Antti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PPC and Chipscope?

Anonymous schrieb:

> I am starting a new design using V4FX parts. I have only one JTAG connection
> so far. Is it possible to simultaneously run the debugger and a chipscope
> session so I can debug problems between the micro and the fpga fabric? If
> not, do I need a second JTAG and how do I wire it?
>
> Thanks,
> Clark


when you generate the EDK project there is a radio button to choose the
PPC debug port to be connected to FPGA logic. just select that option
and connect the PPC jtag pins to ios. It is is also explained in the
Xilinx documentation.

Antti
http://antti-brain.com

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Guru
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PPC and Chipscope?

>
> when you generate the EDK project there is a radio button to choose the
> PPC debug port to be connected to FPGA logic. just select that option
> and connect the PPC jtag pins to ios. It is is also explained in the
> Xilinx documentation.
>
> Antti
> http://antti-brain.com


Antti you are right: Chipscope and XMD or IMAPACT cannot work in the
same JTAG port. Adding another PPC jtag core can work if the sotware is
able to destinguish between the two cables - manual cable selection is
a must.

Guru

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Joseph Samson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PPC and Chipscope?

Guru wrote:
> Antti you are right: Chipscope and XMD or IMAPACT cannot work in the
> same JTAG port. Adding another PPC jtag core can work if the sotware is
> able to destinguish between the two cables - manual cable selection is
> a must.

I use ChipScope and XMD simultaneously from the same JTAG port all the time.


---
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Anonymous
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PPC and Chipscope?


"Joseph Samson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
> Guru wrote:
> > Antti you are right: Chipscope and XMD or IMAPACT cannot work in the
> > same JTAG port. Adding another PPC jtag core can work if the sotware is
> > able to destinguish between the two cables - manual cable selection is
> > a must.

> I use ChipScope and XMD simultaneously from the same JTAG port all the

time.
>
>
> ---
> Joe Samson
> Pixel Velocity


What version of ISE are you running?


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Antti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PPC and Chipscope?

Joseph Samson schrieb:

> Guru wrote:
> > Antti you are right: Chipscope and XMD or IMAPACT cannot work in the
> > same JTAG port. Adding another PPC jtag core can work if the sotware is
> > able to destinguish between the two cables - manual cable selection is
> > a must.

> I use ChipScope and XMD simultaneously from the same JTAG port all the time.
>
>
> ---
> Joe Samson
> Pixel Velocity


Hi Joe,

sod YOU can arm Chipscope trigger (lets say OPB_IBA on address match),
and then start XMD JTAG download or lets say write to some address and
you see chipscope triggering on that address !? - this like work setup
isnt possible with single JTAG port ASFAIK, or am I wrong here?

Sure the PPC and chipscope can co-exist without little problem, but
their way of JTAG sharing is not complete IMHO - because XMD and
chipscope are developed with different Xilinx branches having
intercommunication problem - the lower level JTAG drivers for XMD and
chipscope are different so 2 clients can not successfully communicate
over the same JTAG

Antti

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Joseph Samson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PPC and Chipscope?

Antti wrote:
> Joseph Samson schrieb:
>
>
>>Guru wrote:
>>
>>>Antti you are right: Chipscope and XMD or IMAPACT cannot work in the
>>>same JTAG port. Adding another PPC jtag core can work if the sotware is
>>>able to destinguish between the two cables - manual cable selection is
>>>a must.

>>
>>I use ChipScope and XMD simultaneously from the same JTAG port all the time.
>>
>>
>>---
>>Joe Samson
>>Pixel Velocity

>
>
> Hi Joe,
>
> sod YOU can arm Chipscope trigger (lets say OPB_IBA on address match),
> and then start XMD JTAG download or lets say write to some address and
> you see chipscope triggering on that address !? - this like work setup
> isnt possible with single JTAG port ASFAIK, or am I wrong here?


Here is my usual scenario - say I'm debugging my memory controller. I
have a ChipScope set up to look at the appropriate signals. I set up the
trigger and arm the ChipScope. I go to my XMD window and write to an
address (XMD> mwr 0xc0000000 0x00000001, for example). The logic starts
up and eventually Chipscope triggers and I look at my signals. I have
only used the PLB_IBA once or twice, but I don't think I used the XMD in
those cases (debugging a Linux problem).

I'm running Windows XP, and I've done this with 7.1i and 8.1i.


---
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Antti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PPC and Chipscope?

Joseph Samson schrieb:

> Antti wrote:
> > Joseph Samson schrieb:
> >
> >
> >>Guru wrote:
> >>
> >>>Antti you are right: Chipscope and XMD or IMAPACT cannot work in the
> >>>same JTAG port. Adding another PPC jtag core can work if the sotware is
> >>>able to destinguish between the two cables - manual cable selection is
> >>>a must.
> >>
> >>I use ChipScope and XMD simultaneously from the same JTAG port all the time.
> >>
> >>
> >>---
> >>Joe Samson
> >>Pixel Velocity

> >
> >
> > Hi Joe,
> >
> > sod YOU can arm Chipscope trigger (lets say OPB_IBA on address match),
> > and then start XMD JTAG download or lets say write to some address and
> > you see chipscope triggering on that address !? - this like work setup
> > isnt possible with single JTAG port ASFAIK, or am I wrong here?

>
> Here is my usual scenario - say I'm debugging my memory controller. I
> have a ChipScope set up to look at the appropriate signals. I set up the
> trigger and arm the ChipScope. I go to my XMD window and write to an
> address (XMD> mwr 0xc0000000 0x00000001, for example). The logic starts
> up and eventually Chipscope triggers and I look at my signals. I have
> only used the PLB_IBA once or twice, but I don't think I used the XMD in
> those cases (debugging a Linux problem).
>
> I'm running Windows XP, and I've done this with 7.1i and 8.1i.
>
>
> ---
> Joe Samson
> Pixel Velocity


hum interesting, I really assumed that type of triggering does not work
with single JTAG port being used. But I dont recall what version was
the last one I checked.

Antti

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Ben Jones
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PPC and Chipscope?


"Antti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] oups.com...
> Joseph Samson schrieb:


> sod YOU can arm Chipscope trigger (lets say OPB_IBA on address match),
> and then start XMD JTAG download or lets say write to some address and
> you see chipscope triggering on that address !? - this like work setup
> isnt possible with single JTAG port ASFAIK, or am I wrong here?


You are wrong. (I used to think this too, but I was wrong as well.)

XMD and chipscope are 100% happy to live on the same JTAG chain and cable
connection. I do this all the time (now that I know it works).

However, iMPACT (the programming tool) does not seem to coexist nicely with
either of them...

Cheers,

-Ben-


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chipscope Pro Dave FPGA 3 01-06-2006 09:45 PM
chipscope pro Nitesh FPGA 9 09-29-2005 04:50 AM
chipscope on opb bus [email protected] FPGA 1 07-26-2005 04:49 PM
ChipScope for ISE 6.1 Tobias Möglich FPGA 1 02-18-2004 03:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved