FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2005, 01:16 AM
fecs2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default JTAG USB Circuit

anyboydy knows how to find the circuit or schematic fo make an JTA
USB cable

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Al Clark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: JTAG USB Circuit

[email protected]d (fecs2) wrote in news:V-
[email protected]:

> anyboydy knows how to find the circuit or schematic fo make an JTAG
> USB cable?
>
>


I think ftdichip.com has an application

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff
Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2005, 04:41 AM
GPE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: JTAG USB Circuit

Wouldn't it be slick if Xilinx would offer USB as one of the available
configuration modes for their FPGA config memories!

FTDI does have the hardware, app notes and drivers to write your own JTAG
programmer. For us lazy people, I wish somebody had some canned software to
do this. Maybe someday I'll get off me buns and do this...

-- Ed


"Al Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] 29.71...
> [email protected]d (fecs2) wrote in news:V-
> [email protected]:
>
>> anyboydy knows how to find the circuit or schematic fo make an JTAG
>> USB cable?
>>
>>

>
> I think ftdichip.com has an application
>
> --
> Al Clark
> Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff
> Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Sean Durkin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: JTAG USB Circuit

GPE wrote:
> Wouldn't it be slick if Xilinx would offer USB as one of the available
> configuration modes for their FPGA config memories!

They do... You can buy the "USB Platform Cable" for about $150. It's the
same as the Parallel Cable 4, just hooks up to an USB2 port. Works much
more reliable than the parallel cable.

cu,
Sean
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: JTAG USB Circuit

Yeah, but system generator does not seem to support the cable. At least
in my setup ISE, and chipscope find it, but Sysgen demands Parallel
Cable 4.

Anyone have a different experience?
Later,

JAn

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2005, 02:42 AM
GPE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: JTAG USB Circuit


"Sean Durkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]e...
> GPE wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be slick if Xilinx would offer USB as one of the available
>> configuration modes for their FPGA config memories!

> They do... You can buy the "USB Platform Cable" for about $150. It's the
> same as the Parallel Cable 4, just hooks up to an USB2 port. Works much
> more reliable than the parallel cable.


.... well.... that's not exactly what I was thinking of. I was thinking of
the USB built into the part. This way you could just add a USB connector to
your board and not worry about users buying programming cables.

I know this can be done adding an FTDI part to your design and then using a
JTAG programmable memory such as the ST combo Flash/SRAM memories and using
a Xilinx Spartan 3E part ... whenever those are out. But I still think it
would be nice to cut the part count down further.

-- Ed


>
> cu,
> Sean



Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[JTAG] How to force a FPGA to reprogram itself from a prom with JTAG? uxello FPGA 7 07-30-2005 02:35 PM
Is there any compatibility difference between The parallel JTAG PC4 and JTAG III?? jack lalo FPGA 1 02-23-2005 04:36 PM
SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!! kpk Verilog 37 01-06-2004 02:53 PM
SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!! kpk FPGA 38 01-06-2004 02:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved