FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Peter Alfke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.

Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.
That's what the thread "shooting ourselves in thefoot" is.
But it received over 100 postings in a day, mostly from people that
have nothing meaningful to say.
Well, most of the idiotic postings come cross-posted from other
newsgroups.

Our best response will be to let this embarrassing nonsense burn out.
Just ignore it.
It would be a shame if our relatively sane newsgroup would get infected
by this brainless drivel.
Peter Alfke

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2006, 06:06 AM
HNS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.

Peter

Do not fuel the fire by alleging racism and the like, instead consider that
the originator of the posting has a valid point as far as he /she is
concerned and rebut solely in respect to the issue which is in my opinion
(only) 'whether sharing knowledge is a dangerous practice in respect to
maintaining a competitive edge'.

MFT

"Peter Alfke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] ups.com...
> Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.
> That's what the thread "shooting ourselves in thefoot" is.
> But it received over 100 postings in a day, mostly from people that
> have nothing meaningful to say.
> Well, most of the idiotic postings come cross-posted from other
> newsgroups.
>
> Our best response will be to let this embarrassing nonsense burn out.
> Just ignore it.
> It would be a shame if our relatively sane newsgroup would get infected
> by this brainless drivel.
> Peter Alfke
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.


Peter Alfke wrote:
> Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.
> That's what the thread "shooting ourselves in thefoot" is.
> But it received over 100 postings in a day, mostly from people that
> have nothing meaningful to say.
> Well, most of the idiotic postings come cross-posted from other
> newsgroups.


Or avoid responding to those posts, email the authors, and build on
positive messages and constructive ideas inside the thread.

> Our best response will be to let this embarrassing nonsense burn out.
> Just ignore it.
> It would be a shame if our relatively sane newsgroup would get infected
> by this brainless drivel.
> Peter Alfke


For you that may well have been better, certainly better than creating
yet
another thread to whine in.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Jan Panteltje
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.

On a sunny day (20 Jan 2006 19:48:55 -0800) it happened "Peter Alfke"
<[email protected]> wrote in
<[email protected] com>:

>Our best response will be to let this embarrassing nonsense burn out.
>Just ignore it.
>It would be a shame if our relatively sane newsgroup would get infected
>by this brainless drivel.
>Peter Alfke

Then dont write it.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Robin Bruce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.

I am compelled to agree with Peter here.

The post is undoubtedly irrelevant, arguably stupid - certainly
ignorant. There are xenophobic generalisations, and by about the 80th
post I was convinced it was racist. I go to comp.arch.fpga in the hope
of finding a thread that might aid me in my research, or educate me on
an area of FPGA design of which I'm ignorant. I do not expect to see
posts from people espousing racist anthropoligical theories.

It seems to me that Peter has earned his right to criticise this post
through the countless hours he has spent helping comp.arch.fpga to
become a respected resource to the FPGA community.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.


Robin Bruce wrote:
> I am compelled to agree with Peter here.


unless any forum is moderated, this abuse will happen, creating
more threads to complain about it is just more polution ... unless
the group wishes to moderate, and has people willing to do it,
complaining is senseless.

> The post is undoubtedly irrelevant, arguably stupid - certainly
> ignorant. There are xenophobic generalisations, and by about the 80th
> post I was convinced it was racist. I go to comp.arch.fpga in the hope
> of finding a thread that might aid me in my research, or educate me on
> an area of FPGA design of which I'm ignorant. I do not expect to see
> posts from people espousing racist anthropoligical theories.


absoulutly true ... but not the whole thread, or even vary many of the
authors in the thread ... the brash branding of the entire thread, even
if
dominated by a couple non-PC posters I take offensive, as one of the
posters in that thread.

> It seems to me that Peter has earned his right to criticise this post
> through the countless hours he has spent helping comp.arch.fpga to
> become a respected resource to the FPGA community.


Sure he has the right, just as they do ... as do we to object about
creating
yet another thread to hash it out. Posting directly in the thread
asking for
some order might have been a LOT better.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.


[email protected] wrote:

> absoulutly true ... but not the whole thread, or even vary many of the
> authors in the thread ... the brash branding of the entire thread, even


For those that missed it, there is a long wonderful thread in the
middle of the junk regarding EE's and PE's by people like Ray that are
always generally respected in this forum. The brash branding of the
entire thread is knee jerk - ignore the trolls, follow the content.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Ray Andraka
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.

[email protected] wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>
>>absoulutly true ... but not the whole thread, or even vary many of the
>>authors in the thread ... the brash branding of the entire thread, even

>
>
> For those that missed it, there is a long wonderful thread in the
> middle of the junk regarding EE's and PE's by people like Ray that are
> always generally respected in this forum. The brash branding of the
> entire thread is knee jerk - ignore the trolls, follow the content.
>


Yeah, I should have changed the subject in my first reply.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Peter Alfke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.


Ray Andraka wrote:>
> Yeah, I should have changed the subject in my first reply.


I will do everything I can to keep this newsgroup focused on FPGAs. It
is already a wide span from naive newbie questions and homework
assignments to spicy comments about data sheet content. But that is
what we can and should handle in this newsgroup.

I issued my warning when I saw that mountain of crud descending on us:
off-topic, xenophobic, rambling like a drunken sailor, and often
downright stupid. The fact that our beloved and respected Ray Andraka
inserted some pearls of wisdom does not change the general view. The
thread started with a provocative question, and then degraded into
rambling chaos.
I have watched other newsgroups fall into a similar trap, and I suggest
we band together to avoid this here. The subject is FPGAs, and we
should not get dragged into semi-intelligent (often un-informed and
even stupid) discussions about completely different subjects. There are
thousands of other newsgroups that do ventilate all sorts of ideas.
We have avoided spam, we should also be able to avoid an invasion like
the one I objected to.
Peter Alfke

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
John_H
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Irrelevant, stupid, racist, and worse.

"Peter Alfke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] oups.com...

<snip>

> I issued my warning when I saw that mountain of crud descending on us:
> off-topic, xenophobic, rambling like a drunken sailor, and often
> downright stupid. The fact that our beloved and respected Ray Andraka
> inserted some pearls of wisdom does not change the general view. The
> thread started with a provocative question, and then degraded into
> rambling chaos.
> I have watched other newsgroups fall into a similar trap, and I suggest
> we band together to avoid this here. The subject is FPGAs, and we
> should not get dragged into semi-intelligent (often un-informed and
> even stupid) discussions about completely different subjects. There are
> thousands of other newsgroups that do ventilate all sorts of ideas.
> We have avoided spam, we should also be able to avoid an invasion like
> the one I objected to.
> Peter Alfke


I started watching sci.electronics.design since analog and RF stuff tends to
show up there, not here. It was sad to see just how many "OT:" posts there
are and how miserable they get. Politics, bigotry, and general downright
ugliness. The only reason we got the inappropriate thread - as far as I can
tell - is because the original poster cross-posted to three groups. The
scum-factor in sci.electronics.design spilled over full-force into our
otherwise helpful usenet forum.

I don't even bother looking for the pearls of wisdom in anything with "OT:"
in the header unless the rest of the subject catches my attention. There
are better places for those rants but some people feel "obliged" to "sling
poo" through the internet where it shouldn't be slung.

- John_H


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xilinx ISE 7.1 - Can this get any worse? [email protected] FPGA 22 03-27-2005 04:38 PM
Altera support getting worse and worse...... Jedi FPGA 1 02-19-2005 12:07 AM
Re: Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! _____________---_ zasbep Quinn FPGA 1 11-08-2004 05:17 PM
PLI : some stupid queries. Monika Talwar Verilog 0 02-25-2004 01:17 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved