FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Robin Bruce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default comp.arch.reconfig

I'd like to canvass opinion here. I'm sure opinions will vary greatly.
The question is:
Is is time to create a new group devoted entirely to general-purpose
reconfigurable computing.

In the usenet space, comp.arch.fpga is the best location for
discussions related to "reconfigurable computing". I am well aware that
mostly any use of an FPGA could be termed "reconfigurable computing"
but I use the term here to describe attempts to create general-purpose
computers based around reconfigurable logic. I am aware that this was
the original intention of the comp.arch.fpga group. Times have changed
however, the majority of FPGAs are destined for uses such as DSP and
not as reconfigurable computing processing units.

I'm quite sure that many people will state that there is room enough
for both on this board and that the two aren't that far removed but I'm
not so sure. Threads have a tendancy to migrate away from
reconfigurable computing as I understand it.

The following post from 1997 seems relevant to this discussion:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...1c034d1eb563ac

So, who here would be interested in creating a reconfigurable computing
only group? Incidentally, one exists already at openfpga.org:

http://www.osc.edu/forums/w-agora/in...neral_openfpga

It's been quiet so far but I think it just needs a push to get started.
It may however be too far off the beaten track to ever see much action.

Thanks,

Robin

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Mike Treseler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: comp.arch.reconfig

Robin Bruce wrote:
> I'd like to canvass opinion here. I'm sure opinions will vary greatly.
> The question is:
> Is is time to create a new group devoted entirely to general-purpose
> reconfigurable computing.


When this newsgroup is overloaded with
postings regarding reconfigurable computing,
such a new group might be indicated.

-- Mike Treseler
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Symon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: comp.arch.reconfig

Hi Robin,
Interestingly enough, I believe this group started off with this charter:-

CHARTER


The unmoderated newsgroup comp.arch.fpga will be open to discussions on
all topics related to the use of reconfigurable Field Programmable
Gate Arrays (FPGAs) as computational engines.

see:-

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....354dd08c5eff91

That's why it's in the comp. hierarchy.

Perhaps you should complain about all the non-computing folks spamming your
newsgroup? :-)

Cheers, Syms.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Sean Durkin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: comp.arch.reconfig

Robin Bruce wrote:
> So, who here would be interested in creating a reconfigurable
> computing only group? Incidentally, one exists already at
> openfpga.org:
>
> http://www.osc.edu/forums/w-agora/in...neral_openfpga
>
> It's been quiet so far but I think it just needs a push to get
> started. It may however be too far off the beaten track to ever see
> much action.

John Williams started a partial-reconfig-mailing list a few years back:

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams.../Mailing_List/

You can find the list archives here:

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~listarch/partial-reconfig/

Traffic is moderate, but I believe most active "reconfigurators" read it
and post there regularly. I think this list is "the place to be" when
you're doing something with partial reconfig at the moment.

cu,
Sean
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: comp.arch.reconfig


Robin Bruce wrote:
> I'd like to canvass opinion here. I'm sure opinions will vary greatly.
> The question is:
> Is is time to create a new group devoted entirely to general-purpose
> reconfigurable computing.


Actually, all the electrical engineering design questions, and FPGA
product support questions here are probably off topic, as this forum
was SUPPOSED to be about FPGA computing, not hardware design and FPGA
VHDL/Verilog design support questions.

Maybe what needs to happen, is creating an FPGA hardware design forum
some place else for the hardware designers and FPGA vendors product
support discussions?

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Robin Bruce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: comp.arch.reconfig

I suppose it would make sense to change the charter of this newsgroup
to reflect usage. Joking aside, c.a.f pretty well reflects how the
majority of FPGAs are actually used, so I wouldn't make the case that
there's anything wrong with the group. I suppose I believe that there's
more interest in reconfigurable computing than is being suggested by
the volume of posts here. Maybe the best thing for me to do in the
short run is to try and start up a few reconfigurable-computing posts
here and see what happens.

Robin

[email protected] wrote:
> Robin Bruce wrote:
> > I'd like to canvass opinion here. I'm sure opinions will vary greatly.
> > The question is:
> > Is is time to create a new group devoted entirely to general-purpose
> > reconfigurable computing.

>
> Actually, all the electrical engineering design questions, and FPGA
> product support questions here are probably off topic, as this forum
> was SUPPOSED to be about FPGA computing, not hardware design and FPGA
> VHDL/Verilog design support questions.
>
> Maybe what needs to happen, is creating an FPGA hardware design forum
> some place else for the hardware designers and FPGA vendors product
> support discussions?


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Robin Bruce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: comp.arch.reconfig

Sean,

thanks for your post. Partial Reconfiguration is something that is of
interest to reconfigurable computing as I understand it, but it's not
something that anyone is putting on their critical path. Xilinx FPGAs
are not currently designed with commercially-viable partial
reconfiguration and the toolchains, although developing, are still not
there. Dynamic reconfiguration is probably about as far as it goes for
most people.

The best example of "reconfigurable computing" as I understand it at
present is embodied by SRC computers. Their SRC-6 and SRC-7 machines
tightly couple microprocessors to FPGAs and provide a development
environment that balances a high-level of abstraction from FPGA design
with high performance. Check out the performance stats for the SRC-7:

http://www.srccomp.com/SRC7_Performance.htm

Cheers,

Robin

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: comp.arch.reconfig


Robin Bruce wrote:
> I suppose it would make sense to change the charter of this newsgroup
> to reflect usage. Joking aside, c.a.f pretty well reflects how the
> majority of FPGAs are actually used, so I wouldn't make the case that
> there's anything wrong with the group. I suppose I believe that there's
> more interest in reconfigurable computing than is being suggested by
> the volume of posts here. Maybe the best thing for me to do in the
> short run is to try and start up a few reconfigurable-computing posts
> here and see what happens.
>
> Robin


That's probably true, but somehow seems to defeat the sense of order
that the usenet folks setup to catorgize topics/groups. There are
other places for electronics, engineering, and product support for
those.

Comp.arch just isn't the place for VHDL/Verilog training and support,
particularly for vendor specific issues. Nor is circuit level design,
interfacing, etc really an computer architecture topic for custom
hardware. Even partial reconfiguration for most hardware projects,
isn't on topic, although a related technology for this group.

SoC, reconfigurable computing, and even hardware designs for building
fpga computers would be on topic for a comp.arch rooted group.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
comp.arch.fpga.<mfr> Adam Megacz FPGA 11 06-22-2005 03:58 AM
comp.arch.fpga : Multisource databus evspronsen FPGA 2 02-27-2004 05:35 PM
Moderator of comp.arch.fpga Stephan Neuhold FPGA 1 09-22-2003 05:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved