FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2004, 05:18 PM
AJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Avnet Virtex-II Pro Development Kit Help

Hello FPGA users,

I am thinking about purchasing the Avnet Virtex-II Pro™ Development
Kit and would like to find out if anyone is using it or has used it
recently. I want to make sure I am not missing anything. It seems like
it comes with all the tools, but I find it difficult to get a
straight/consistant answer sometimes from Avnet. My confusion lies in
the PowerPC tools and startup. I want to make sure that the board and
tools (ISE 6.1 Foundation and EDK) are sufficient to get going. I
don't need an RTOS for my project so I just want to be able to run my
code on the PowerPC either from external RAM or internal BRAM.

Confusion is about the BOOT up process and wether I will have to write
alot of system level code. Can someone help me out or point me to a
document that might clear up my concerns.

I would love to talk with someone that is currently using this
product. Please e-mail me.

Thanks in advance,
AJ
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Clark Pope
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Avnet Virtex-II Pro Development Kit Help

I have an Avnet board. It comes with evaluation versions of EDK and ISE. It
comes with a compact flash card containing several demo .bit files. By
default it boots into Linux but you can make it boot any one of several
sample designs. It had everything I need and ran out of the box in about 10
minutes.

The one bad thing is that all of the documentation comes on CDs. I ended up
printing about 500 pages of material so I could leaf to info easily. Also,
it would be nice if they posted the documents to the web.

"AJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] om...
> Hello FPGA users,
>
> I am thinking about purchasing the Avnet Virtex-II ProT Development
> Kit and would like to find out if anyone is using it or has used it
> recently. I want to make sure I am not missing anything. It seems like
> it comes with all the tools, but I find it difficult to get a
> straight/consistant answer sometimes from Avnet. My confusion lies in
> the PowerPC tools and startup. I want to make sure that the board and
> tools (ISE 6.1 Foundation and EDK) are sufficient to get going. I
> don't need an RTOS for my project so I just want to be able to run my
> code on the PowerPC either from external RAM or internal BRAM.
>
> Confusion is about the BOOT up process and wether I will have to write
> alot of system level code. Can someone help me out or point me to a
> document that might clear up my concerns.
>
> I would love to talk with someone that is currently using this
> product. Please e-mail me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> AJ



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2004, 07:55 PM
AJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Avnet Virtex-II Pro Development Kit Help

Clark,

Thanks for the information. I recently got the board and have been
playing with it. I agree with you that it was easy to get there demos
up and running, but I must say I am a litte confused when trying to
modify them.

For example I have the 2VP7 Pro chip and was looking at the PLB
external memory example. This code/data is in the I&D BRAM and thus
has limited space. I would like to modify the code to run in SRAM
which starts at 0x00000000 in their example. I was able to find the
start address location to modify, but how can you specific the data
location in memory? I would like the code to run in IBRAM and the data
to reside in SDRAM (or is it possible to use both DBRAM and SDRAM for
your data). Also do you or anyone else have any example programs
outside the ones they give you to help weed through some of these
issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AJ

"Clark Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] link.net>...
> I have an Avnet board. It comes with evaluation versions of EDK and ISE. It
> comes with a compact flash card containing several demo .bit files. By
> default it boots into Linux but you can make it boot any one of several
> sample designs. It had everything I need and ran out of the box in about 10
> minutes.
>
> The one bad thing is that all of the documentation comes on CDs. I ended up
> printing about 500 pages of material so I could leaf to info easily. Also,
> it would be nice if they posted the documents to the web.
>
> "AJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected] om...
> > Hello FPGA users,
> >
> > I am thinking about purchasing the Avnet Virtex-II ProT Development
> > Kit and would like to find out if anyone is using it or has used it
> > recently. I want to make sure I am not missing anything. It seems like
> > it comes with all the tools, but I find it difficult to get a
> > straight/consistant answer sometimes from Avnet. My confusion lies in
> > the PowerPC tools and startup. I want to make sure that the board and
> > tools (ISE 6.1 Foundation and EDK) are sufficient to get going. I
> > don't need an RTOS for my project so I just want to be able to run my
> > code on the PowerPC either from external RAM or internal BRAM.
> >
> > Confusion is about the BOOT up process and wether I will have to write
> > alot of system level code. Can someone help me out or point me to a
> > document that might clear up my concerns.
> >
> > I would love to talk with someone that is currently using this
> > product. Please e-mail me.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > AJ

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avnet Virtex II Pro Dvpt board : linux drivers ?? Mancini Stephane FPGA 1 01-16-2004 05:30 PM
Avnet Xilinx Virtex II Development Board - getting started mintchoco FPGA 3 10-08-2003 07:02 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved