FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 AM
L. Schreiber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default area group constraint problem

Hello together,

in my vhdl design for ISE 9.2 I want to partition the component
instances of the submodules in my toplevel into defined areas of my fpga ic.

I have never done this but had seen some examples before, where it might
have worked (e.g. projects with reconfiguration).

So I adapted my ucf-file accordingly by adding several area group
constraints and assigned an instance for each area group like in this
short example snippet:

AREA_GROUP "ag1" RANGE = SLICE_X0Y0:SLICE_X50Y50;
INST instance_name_of_first_component_from_toplevel AREA_GROUP = ag1;
AREA_GROUP "ag2" RANGE = SLICE_X51Y0:SLICE_X100Y50;
INST instance_name_of_second_component_from_toplevel AREA_GROUP = ag2;
....

But now I'm getting an error (while implementation stage - don't know
exactly at the moment). The error message says roughly, that the
instances cannot be found (something like that) and i'm proposed to
delete the relevant constraint to go on.

I use the label name of the component port map statement in my toplevel
as the instance names inside the ucf.

Is this wrong or what's the problem? Any suggestions?

I can't post the exact error message at the moment, but it will be given
later if it's necessary.


I have read, that it is possible to generate or extract such area
constraints by using the floorplanner. Does anyone know a helpful and
not too sparse tutorial for the floorplanner, especially for my purpose?


Thanks a lot.
L. Schreiber
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Matthew Hicks
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: area group constraint problem

Make sure you include the path to the signals if there is a heirarchy.


---Matthew Hicks


> Hello together,
>
> in my vhdl design for ISE 9.2 I want to partition the component
> instances of the submodules in my toplevel into defined areas of my
> fpga ic.
>
> I have never done this but had seen some examples before, where it
> might have worked (e.g. projects with reconfiguration).
>
> So I adapted my ucf-file accordingly by adding several area group
> constraints and assigned an instance for each area group like in this
> short example snippet:
>
> AREA_GROUP "ag1" RANGE = SLICE_X0Y0:SLICE_X50Y50;
> INST instance_name_of_first_component_from_toplevel AREA_GROUP = ag1;
> AREA_GROUP "ag2" RANGE = SLICE_X51Y0:SLICE_X100Y50;
> INST instance_name_of_second_component_from_toplevel AREA_GROUP = ag2;
> ...
> But now I'm getting an error (while implementation stage - don't know
> exactly at the moment). The error message says roughly, that the
> instances cannot be found (something like that) and i'm proposed to
> delete the relevant constraint to go on.
>
> I use the label name of the component port map statement in my
> toplevel as the instance names inside the ucf.
>
> Is this wrong or what's the problem? Any suggestions?
>
> I can't post the exact error message at the moment, but it will be
> given later if it's necessary.
>
> I have read, that it is possible to generate or extract such area
> constraints by using the floorplanner. Does anyone know a helpful and
> not too sparse tutorial for the floorplanner, especially for my
> purpose?
>
> Thanks a lot.
> L. Schreiber



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 PM
mh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: area group constraint problem

On Nov 28, 1:23 pm, Matthew Hicks <[email protected]> wrote:
> Make sure you include the path to the signals if there is a heirarchy.
>
> ---Matthew Hicks
>
>
>
> > Hello together,

>
> > in my vhdl design for ISE 9.2 I want to partition the component
> > instances of the submodules in my toplevel into defined areas of my
> > fpga ic.

>
> > I have never done this but had seen some examples before, where it
> > might have worked (e.g. projects with reconfiguration).

>
> > So I adapted my ucf-file accordingly by adding several area group
> > constraints and assigned an instance for each area group like in this
> > short example snippet:

>
> > AREA_GROUP "ag1" RANGE = SLICE_X0Y0:SLICE_X50Y50;
> > INST instance_name_of_first_component_from_toplevel AREA_GROUP = ag1;
> > AREA_GROUP "ag2" RANGE = SLICE_X51Y0:SLICE_X100Y50;
> > INST instance_name_of_second_component_from_toplevel AREA_GROUP = ag2;
> > ...
> > But now I'm getting an error (while implementation stage - don't know
> > exactly at the moment). The error message says roughly, that the
> > instances cannot be found (something like that) and i'm proposed to
> > delete the relevant constraint to go on.

>
> > I use the label name of the component port map statement in my
> > toplevel as the instance names inside the ucf.

>
> > Is this wrong or what's the problem? Any suggestions?

>
> > I can't post the exact error message at the moment, but it will be
> > given later if it's necessary.

>
> > I have read, that it is possible to generate or extract such area
> > constraints by using the floorplanner. Does anyone know a helpful and
> > not too sparse tutorial for the floorplanner, especially for my
> > purpose?

>
> > Thanks a lot.
> > L. Schreiber- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


Hi,
An addendum to Matthew Hicks comment,

use "modulename_*" to define area group for all signals if you explode
the hierarchy.

/MH

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 AM
L. Schreiber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: area group constraint problem (more detailed)

> But now I'm getting an error (while implementation stage - don't know
> exactly at the moment).


Ok, the error occured while translation in implementation phase.

> I can't post the exact error message at the moment, but it will be given
> later if it's necessary.


Here is the exact error message from the translation report:

Reading NGO file "/home/schrl/ise/virtex2p/reconf_rs232/top.ngc" ...

Applying constraints in "top.ucf" to the design...
ERROR:NgdBuild:753 - "top.ucf" Line 27: Could not find instance(s)
stat_r' in the design. To suppress this error specify the correct
instance name or remove the constraint.


I'm trying these first suggestions from M. Hicks and MH.

thx
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: area group constraint problem (more detailed) - solved

L. Schreiber wrote:
>> But now I'm getting an error (while implementation stage - don't know
>> exactly at the moment).

>
> Ok, the error occured while translation in implementation phase.
>
>> I can't post the exact error message at the moment, but it will be
>> given later if it's necessary.

>
> Here is the exact error message from the translation report:
>
> Reading NGO file "/home/schrl/ise/virtex2p/reconf_rs232/top.ngc" ...
>
> Applying constraints in "top.ucf" to the design...
> ERROR:NgdBuild:753 - "top.ucf" Line 27: Could not find instance(s)
> stat_r' in the design. To suppress this error specify the correct
> instance name or remove the constraint.
>
>
> I'm trying these first suggestions from M. Hicks and MH.
>
> thx


Okay, last thursday i found the reason for this error. I have missablied
the modular design flow.

That's why your proposals haven't solved the problem. Anyway, thanks for
your rapid replies.

Now it works! :-)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Area Group IOB Range praetorian FPGA 2 08-03-2005 11:01 PM
area group constraint for quadranting Tim FPGA 1 06-17-2005 11:31 PM
Area constraint on a sub-module Ramtilak FPGA 3 07-22-2004 12:01 PM
Can assign same area group to multiple modules? Kelvin @ SG FPGA 1 04-30-2004 10:09 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved