FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Dieter Keldenich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA

Hi,

does anybody have experience in using Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA?
Is it possible to compile Xilinx libraries (unisim/coregenlib/simprim) for
using them in DXP?
DXP is not supported by Xilinx, what are the risks in using it?

kind regards
Dieter Keldenich



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Rene Tschaggelar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA

Dieter Keldenich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anybody have experience in using Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA?
> Is it possible to compile Xilinx libraries (unisim/coregenlib/simprim) for
> using them in DXP?
> DXP is not supported by Xilinx, what are the risks in using it?


You should ask this question on the altium forums,
available at the altium website.

Rene
--
Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com
& commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2003, 02:41 PM
jakab tanko
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA


"Rene Tschaggelar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] s.com...
> Dieter Keldenich wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > does anybody have experience in using Altium DXP for designing Xilinx

FPGA?
> > Is it possible to compile Xilinx libraries (unisim/coregenlib/simprim)

for
> > using them in DXP?
> > DXP is not supported by Xilinx, what are the risks in using it?


I evaluated DXP but unfortunately it expired before I got to the FPGA/VHDL
part, from
what I hear from others it is a decent tool, again , I don't have specifics.

>
> You should ask this question on the altium forums,
> available at the altium website.


I think this si a valid question in this newsgroup, instead of lecturing
people
maybe you should try to help them! It would fit more with the spirit of this
newsgroup!

>
> Rene
> --
> Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com
> & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Rene Tschaggelar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA

jakab tanko wrote:
> "Rene Tschaggelar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected] s.com...
>
>>Dieter Keldenich wrote:
>>>
>>>does anybody have experience in using Altium DXP for designing Xilinx

>> FPGA?
>>Is it possible to compile Xilinx libraries (unisim/coregenlib/simprim)
>>for
>>using them in DXP?
>>>DXP is not supported by Xilinx, what are the risks in using it?

>>

>
> I evaluated DXP but unfortunately it expired before I got to the FPGA/VHDL
> part, from
> what I hear from others it is a decent tool, again , I don't have specifics.
>
>
>>You should ask this question on the altium forums,
>>available at the altium website.

>
>
> I think this si a valid question in this newsgroup, instead of lecturing
> people
> maybe you should try to help them! It would fit more with the spirit of this
> newsgroup!


Sorry about that.
Well, I didn't come this far with DXP yet.
Obviously this poster was not aware of the Altium groups.
They are a definite must for every DXP user anyway.
Perhaps a more knowledgeable DXP user knows an answer here.

Rene
--
Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com
& commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2003, 11:44 PM
Dieter Keldenich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA

Hi Rene,

I do not find any Altium- or DXP-group here on my news server. Also on
www.altium.com, I only find an info, that there will come up a forum soon.
Where can I find the altium group?

thanks in advance
Dieter


"Rene Tschaggelar" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected] s.com...
> jakab tanko wrote:
> > "Rene Tschaggelar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected] s.com...
> >
> >>Dieter Keldenich wrote:
> >>>
> >>>does anybody have experience in using Altium DXP for designing Xilinx
> >> FPGA?
> >>Is it possible to compile Xilinx libraries (unisim/coregenlib/simprim)
> >>for
> >>using them in DXP?
> >>>DXP is not supported by Xilinx, what are the risks in using it?
> >>

> >
> > I evaluated DXP but unfortunately it expired before I got to the

FPGA/VHDL
> > part, from
> > what I hear from others it is a decent tool, again , I don't have

specifics.
> >
> >
> >>You should ask this question on the altium forums,
> >>available at the altium website.

> >
> >
> > I think this si a valid question in this newsgroup, instead of lecturing
> > people
> > maybe you should try to help them! It would fit more with the spirit of

this
> > newsgroup!

>
> Sorry about that.
> Well, I didn't come this far with DXP yet.
> Obviously this poster was not aware of the Altium groups.
> They are a definite must for every DXP user anyway.
> Perhaps a more knowledgeable DXP user knows an answer here.
>
> Rene
> --
> Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com
> & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
>




Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Simon Peacock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA

Protel or Altium as they are now called.. have a long and very good users
group. It is referenced by Altium but I doubt there are many VHDL users
there as Protel is a PCB CAD package which has only lately started doing
VHDL.

You can Try tho.. but you have to have an official licensed version of DXP
;-)

Simon

dxp at forums dot altium dot com


"Dieter Keldenich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi Rene,
>
> I do not find any Altium- or DXP-group here on my news server. Also on
> www.altium.com, I only find an info, that there will come up a forum soon.
> Where can I find the altium group?
>
> thanks in advance
> Dieter
>
>
> "Rene Tschaggelar" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected] s.com...
> > jakab tanko wrote:
> > > "Rene Tschaggelar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected] s.com...
> > >
> > >>Dieter Keldenich wrote:
> > >>>
> > >>>does anybody have experience in using Altium DXP for designing Xilinx
> > >> FPGA?
> > >>Is it possible to compile Xilinx libraries (unisim/coregenlib/simprim)
> > >>for
> > >>using them in DXP?
> > >>>DXP is not supported by Xilinx, what are the risks in using it?
> > >>
> > >
> > > I evaluated DXP but unfortunately it expired before I got to the

> FPGA/VHDL
> > > part, from
> > > what I hear from others it is a decent tool, again , I don't have

> specifics.
> > >
> > >
> > >>You should ask this question on the altium forums,
> > >>available at the altium website.
> > >
> > >
> > > I think this si a valid question in this newsgroup, instead of

lecturing
> > > people
> > > maybe you should try to help them! It would fit more with the spirit

of
> this
> > > newsgroup!

> >
> > Sorry about that.
> > Well, I didn't come this far with DXP yet.
> > Obviously this poster was not aware of the Altium groups.
> > They are a definite must for every DXP user anyway.
> > Perhaps a more knowledgeable DXP user knows an answer here.
> >
> > Rene
> > --
> > Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com
> > & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
> >

>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Jake Janovetz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA

Hi Dieter-

I use DXP for PCB work and like it very much. I like the way it
organizes projects and find it interesting that it can handle FPGAs,
but don't see that as very practical since the two that it supports
(Xilinx and Altera) both offer synthesis tools with their free
toolsets. I can't say which is a better synthesizer, but I'd expect
the FPGA manufacturers would have the upper hand on that.

You can, however, draw schematics with Protel and compile them. This
would be a much better solution if you wanted to go the schematic
route. (since the schematic capture program (ECS) included with
Xilinx tools is about as convenient to work with as little pieces of
paper cutout like the symbols and using twigs to make connectivity)
You can use the standard symbols with DXP, and I would expect
something to deal with Cores, but haven't delved into it much.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Jake


"Dieter Keldenich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> does anybody have experience in using Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA?
> Is it possible to compile Xilinx libraries (unisim/coregenlib/simprim) for
> using them in DXP?
> DXP is not supported by Xilinx, what are the risks in using it?
>
> kind regards
> Dieter Keldenich

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Jon Elson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA



Dieter Keldenich wrote:

>Hi,
>
>does anybody have experience in using Altium DXP for designing Xilinx FPGA?
>Is it possible to compile Xilinx libraries (unisim/coregenlib/simprim) for
>using them in DXP?
>DXP is not supported by Xilinx, what are the risks in using it?
>
>

I have not upgraded to DXP, but use the previous software, Protel 99SE.
It was supposed to have Xilinx support, but I found a raft of stuff that
didn't work. The schematic part of the Xilinx ISE tools drives me
crazy, however, and so I have been experimenting with linking Protel99
to ISE, and finally got it to work. Protel's EDIF format is totally
fouled up, and their XNF output is close, but has some subtle bugs
that I was never able to figure out. But, the undocumented VHDL
output is almost perfect. To use the Xilinx schematic library parts,
you have to manually add a library declaration and a use statement
for that library to the VHDL file. That looks like :

library unisim;
use unisim.vcomponents.all;

The only other quirk is that Protel
repeats the "component" declaration of a schematic sheet that is used
more than once in the same schematic. I can now edit in these small
changes in a few seconds.

If you want to do Xilinx FPGAs in Verilog or VHDL, just forget
Protel, the Xilinx tools are going to be much more current, and I'd
trust their optimization a lot more than anyone else's. Note that
Xilinx's own software dropped all support for all 5 V chips about
3 years ago! That's why I'm still using ISE 4.1i, because all my work
is with 5 V chips at the moment.

Jon

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PCB CADENCE ORCAD 2004 - 2000, Altium P-CAD V2002, DXP SUITE V2004, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 (c) ALTIUM [2 CDs], ModelSim.SE.v6.0, AutoTRAX.EDA.v3.04, Aldec.Riviera.v2004.08.1533.WinNT2kXP, Metrowerks CodeWarrior Development Studio v Zorba.GR Verilog 0 09-08-2004 08:05 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved