FPGA Central - World's 1st FPGA / CPLD Portal

FPGA Central

World's 1st FPGA Portal

 

Go Back   FPGA Groups > NewsGroup > FPGA

FPGA comp.arch.fpga newsgroup (usenet)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Antti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Altera Cyclone II - used in 100USD Laptop

http://www.heise.de/mobil/artikel/88916/2
http://www.heise.de/bilder/88916/2/1

pretty interesting - so funny that makes you wanna a child again
ok, the price is not 100 but 150, guess the manufacturer did not meed
the 100 USD goal

Antti

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Jim Granville
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altera Cyclone II - used in 100USD Laptop

Antti wrote:
> http://www.heise.de/mobil/artikel/88916/2
> http://www.heise.de/bilder/88916/2/1
>
> pretty interesting - so funny that makes you wanna a child again
> ok, the price is not 100 but 150, guess the manufacturer did not meed
> the 100 USD goal


Interesting - but the Altera, only in the prototypes, I'd guess....

good overall idea tho.

-jg

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Antti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altera Cyclone II - used in 100USD Laptop

On 24 Mai, 10:32, Jim Granville <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Antti wrote:
> >http://www.heise.de/mobil/artikel/88916/2
> >http://www.heise.de/bilder/88916/2/1

>
> > pretty interesting - so funny that makes you wanna a child again
> > ok, the price is not 100 but 150, guess the manufacturer did not meed
> > the 100 USD goal

>
> Interesting - but the Altera, only in the prototypes, I'd guess....
>
> good overall idea tho.
>
> -jg


Hi Jim,

you maybe right, the OLPC minimum order quantity is 3 MILLION pieces,
eg minimum order value of round 450 Mio USD,
so I guess it does pay off to go ASIC at those volumes

I wonder a bit that the 100 USD target price goal have not met - as I
heard
there is serious project to develop a mobile phone with sub 10 USD
manufacturing costs !

so if a mobile phone manufacturing cost can be pushed below 10 USD,
then it is surprising
that a laptop cant be pushed below 100

Antti









Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Markus Kuhn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altera Cyclone II - used in 100USD Laptop

Antti <[email protected]> writes:
|> I wonder a bit that the 100 USD target price goal have not met - as I heard
|> there is serious project to develop a mobile phone with sub 10 USD
|> manufacturing costs !

Perhaps because that project might in the end also not get below 15 USD?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Jim Granville
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Altera Cyclone II - used in 100USD Laptop

Antti wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> you maybe right, the OLPC minimum order quantity is 3 MILLION pieces,
> eg minimum order value of round 450 Mio USD,
> so I guess it does pay off to go ASIC at those volumes
>
> I wonder a bit that the 100 USD target price goal have not met - as I
> heard
> there is serious project to develop a mobile phone with sub 10 USD
> manufacturing costs !


Yes, but often these boasts compare BOM, against final selling price.
So a $10BOM cellphone is certainly just possible, but the end user price
will not be that.

India made some comments about targeting $15 laptops, but again I think
they cheat a little with BOM vs final price.

> so if a mobile phone manufacturing cost can be pushed below 10 USD,
> then it is surprising
> that a laptop cant be pushed below 100


Silicon is getting ever cheaper, but the challenge is the display,
and battery.
Also storage ? - if you remove the HDD, and pop in external SD
card, the 'Press release' price can drop

The design you show here, looks on the complex side (too many parts),
but it is a prototype - how many layers is the PCB ?

The final goal has to be a stacked CPU+Memory, in order to slash PCB
size/complexity.

Another pass at this, could pull the Cyclone+other chips, into
something like the Atmel AT91CAP series.

I'd also watch Intel, over the next couple of years they are
moving focus to include this area.


-jg







Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Altera Cyclone-II FIFOs Michael Laajanen FPGA 1 08-13-2006 10:14 PM
altera cyclone memory example [email protected] FPGA 7 06-21-2006 01:31 AM
Altera Cyclone Web presentation Jerry FPGA 1 07-23-2004 03:38 PM
Anyone who has worked with Altera Cyclone??? GreateWhite.DK FPGA 3 05-14-2004 08:27 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2008 @ FPGA Central. All rights reserved