8051 Compatible Microcontroller Core
The so_ip_8051M256 is a soft core of a single-chip 8-bit embedded microcontroller dedicated for operation with fast (on-chip) and slow (off-chip) memories.
So_ip_8051M256 soft core is 100% binary compatible with the industry standard 8051 microcontroller. It executes all ASM51 instructions and has the same instruction set as the 8031. The so_ip_8051M256 serves both software and hardware interrupts, and has standard peripheral units like timers and serial communication system.
So_ip_8051M256 has an advanced architecture that enables it to be 4.51 times faster than the original 8051 microcontroller.
So_ip_8051M256 is delivered with fully automated testbench and a compete set of tests allowing easy package validation at each stage of SoC design flow.
The so_ip_8051M256 is a microcode-free design developed for reuse in FPGA implementations. The design is strictly synchronous with positive-edge clocking, no internal tri-states and a synchronous reset.
- 100% software compatible with industry standard 8051
- Advanced architecture enables to execute instructions on average 4.51 times faster compared to original 8051
- 8 times faster multiplication
- 8 times faster division
- 4 times faster addition
- 256 bytes of internal (on-chip) Data Memory
- Up to 64K bytes of internal (on-chip) or external (off-chip) Program Memory
- Up to 64K bytes of internal (on-chip) or external (off-chip) Data Memory
- De-multiplexed Address/Data bus to allow easy connection to memory
- Fully synthesizable synchronous design with positive edge clocking and no internal tri-states
- Interrupt Controller
- 2 priority levels
- 2 external sources
- 3 internal sources from peripherals
- Four 8-bit I/O Ports
- Separate input and output lines
- Alternate port functions such as interrupts and serial interface are separated, providing extra port pins in comparison with original 8051
- Two 16-bit timer/counters
- Timers clocked by internal source
- Auto reload 8-bit timers
- Externally gated event counters
- Full-duplex serial port
- Synchronous mode, fixed baud rate
- 8-bit asynchronous mode, variable baud rate
- 9-bit asynchronous mode, fixed baud rate
- 9-bit asynchronous mode, variable baud rate